A1 District at Kearney High School
Kearney is looking to qualify all 14 wrestlers and give Millard South a run for their money at the Century Link. Every other team in this district have guys on their team who can place high at state. Expect the team race for 2nd place to come down to Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln Pius and Omaha North
Marquee Weight Classes
Kinnaman’s only loss came to Seavers in a 4-2 match, but Kinnaman won their last meeting 14-4. Kinnaman and Seavers both have wins over Bender. McBride has been in and out of the Varsity lineup, but won the spot last week.
1. #3 Adam Kinnaman (Lincoln Southeast) 42-1
2. #5 Dae’Kwon Seavers(Omaha North) 34-7
3. Gauge McBride (Kearney) 13-3
4. Jaydyn Bender (Omaha Northwest) 13-11
Top ranked Nick James won 4-2 over Fry in mid-December, which is his closest match against a class A opponent. They will surely meet again in the finals, so we’ll get to see if Fry has closed the gap or if James has widened the gap.
1. #1 Nick James (Kearney) 35-2
2. #3 Chance Fry (Lincoln Southeast) 41-3
3. Dillon Bailey (Omaha North) 23-14
4. Trey Nielsen (Omaha Westside) 14-13
Luke Tasler (Lincoln Pius X) 24-17
Wilson and Morrison haven’t met this season, but Wilson has wins over two common opponents. Betancur has had an abbreviated season and like Morrison, he lost toe Benak of Papio South. They should battle in the semis for a shot at Wilson as long as senior Austn Miller doesn’t play a spoiler. Kearney needs Wilson to place high at state for them to threaten Millard South.
1. Teontae Wilson (Kearney) 34-7
2. Eamon Morrison (Creighton Prep) 35-10
3. Braxton Betancur (Lincoln Southeast) 12-4
4. Austin Miller (Lincoln Pius X) 16-9
Jansa has pinned the 3 projected qualifiers below him. His only blemish on the season is an 11-7 loss to returning state champion James Burks. Byars won 8-3 over Wesley at the Metro tournament and beat Feltes 5-0.
Feltes owns a 4-2 win over Gunther and a 14-4 win over Kuchera. Gunther and Kuchera haven’t faced each other this season.
1. #1 Josh Jansa (Omaha Westside) 39-1
2. #4 Kylan Byers (Omaha Northwest) 30-10
3. #6 Jordan Wesley (Omaha North) 22-12
4. Isaac Feltes (Lincoln Pius X) 22-8
Nathan Gunther (Lincoln Southeast) 26-17
Jud Kuchera (Kearney) 21-20
In their first match of the year, Guerra pinned Grube. In their second meeting, Grube won 21-6. Their third meeting should be in the district finals, and we should expect nothing less than a shootout. Grube and Guerra both own pins over Gallegos. Kruse hasn’t faced the 3 opponents above him.
1. #2 Trey Grube (Kearney) 30-12
2. #4 Josh Guerra (Lincoln Pius X) 29-5
3. Preston Gallegos (Lincoln Southeast) 28-15
4. Alex Kruse (Omaha Northwest) 13-16
Hasz recorded a fall over Bautista in early December and hasn’t faced Kerr and Kirby. Bautista owns a 2-0 win over Kirby and a fall over Kerr. Kerr has pinned Kirby twice this season.
1. #5 Jack Hasz (Creighton Prep) 26-4
2. #6 Izzy Bautista (Kearney) 23-14
3. Steven Kerr (Lincoln Pius X) 13-9
4. Cody Kirby (Lincoln Southeast) 20-9
Herrington owns a 14-1 win over Farber. Majid owns two wins over Farber, and has yet to face Herrington. Should Majid beat Farber a third time, he can see where he stacks up against top ranked Herrington.
1. #1 Lee Herrington (Kearney) 35-2
2. #4 Majid Mohammed (Lincoln High) 30-4
3. Robbie Farber (Lincoln Pius X) 25-10
4. Garrett Rollag (Creighton Prep) 20-5