B1 District at Aurora High School
Skutt Catholic has too much firepower for Blair’s depth to catch them, but there are some potential battles that are intriguing. The finals at 106, 120, and 285 could feature Skutt and Blair. Most of the other teams have an equal blend of depth and firepower.
Marquee Weight Classes
Don’t let Lazure’s record fool you. He’s battle tested and is the only wrestler in Nebraska to beat Larsen of Plattsmouth this season. Buchanan’s only loss is to Larsen. Nielsen has a win over Johnson, but hasn’t faced Lazure or Nielsen. Not much separates the top 4 in class B, so the top 3 could very well end differently.
1. #1 Caleb Lazure (Omaha Skutt) 23-10
2. #3 Shawn Buchanan (Crete) 42-1
3. #6 Jackson Nielsen (Blair) 32-7
4. Preston Johnson (Waverly) 32-11
Moore has been unstoppable this year with his only loss coming to a returning class A state champion. Stoltenberg owns a 10-3 win over Gocke and only has one loss to a Nebraska opponent. Gocke has wrestled a meat grinder of a schedule and is a sure bet for third.
1. #1 Walker Moore (Blair) 38-1
2. #4 Nicholas Stoltenberg (Skutt Catholic) 20-9
3. Harrison Gocke (York) 37-16
4. Joel Lemburg (Columbus Lakeview) 22-7
Mullinix and Schadd have wins over SaBell and should meet in the finals. Nuckolls has an early season win over Lewis, but Lewis should battle for a bid to the Century Link.
1. #2 Layton Mullinix (Columbus Scotus) 42-3
2. #6 Drew Schadd (Columbus Lakeview) 29-10
3. Josh Nuckolls (Wahoo) 31-13
4. Levi SaBell (Aurora) 24-6
Dalton Lewis (Blair) 31-14
Bennett has had a solid sophomore campaign and gets the nod over Van Dyke who has had an abbreviated season. Liebig has wins over Cornwell and Gerkensmeyer. Harvey owns a win over Gerkensmeyer.
1. #5 Zane Bennett (Wahoo) 34-6
2. #6 Alex Van Dyke (Skutt Catholic) 15-8
3. River Liebig (Columbus Scotus) 25-8
4. Matt Harvey (Norris) 32-9
Clayton Van Horn (Crete) 26-15
Sutton has been dominant this season and owns an early season win over Anderson. Anderson has a little tougher schedule than Sherman, but it doesn’t matter who gets the second seed because they will meet in the semis. Thompson has had an abbreviated season, but he could wreak havoc on this weight.
1. #3 Jack Sutton (Wahoo) 39-2
2. #5 Carter Anderson (Blair) 32-8
3. #6 Ethan Sherman (Crete) 32-8
4. Danny Thompson (Skutt Catholic) 12-5
Krecklow has put together an impressive regular season and recorded a pin over Gutzmer in early January. Jasper pinned Rediger in early January, and those two should man the 3rd and 4th spots.
1. #1 Cole Krecklow (Wahoo) 37-1
2. #2 Wyatt Gutzmer (Columbus Scotus) 37-6
3. Aaron Jasper (Columbus Lakeview) 20-6
4. Garrett Rediger (York) 21-12
Hixson’s only in-state losses are to B#1 Williams and A#1 Herrington. Hixson won 3-2 over Harper in early January and owns two falls over Stafursky. Harper has beaten Gray and Stafursky, and Gray owns a win over Stafursky which gives hime the 3rd spot.
1. #2 Trent Hixson (Skutt Catholic) 25-8
2. #6 Cory Harper (Blair) 32-10
3. Nicholas Gray (Norris) 24-17
4. Noah Stafursky (York) 41-13