All but two class A teams who are competing this weekend are in action at the Tom Dineen Invite, giving the fans a good idea of where the competitors stand going into the last 7 weeks of the season.
Potential Seeds/Top Wrestlers and Current Season Records:
1. A#2 Cody Niemiec, Papillion La Vista: 13-1
2. Tom Dineen, Marquette High: 12-1
3. Michael Colling, Omaha Westside: 8-6
4. Wyatt May, Millard West: 9-8
Niemiec has beaten every class A opponent he has faced this season, with his only loss coming in the first tournament of the season to an Iowa wrestler.
1. A#4 Cole Zebley, Millard West: 14-1
2. A#5 Cody Fielder, Fremont: 11-1
3. Dion Bonam, Omaha Burke: 10-2
4. A#3 Nolan Niemiec, Papillion La Vista: 17-5
5. Ryan Dineen, Marquette High: 6-2
6. Jason Hurd, Omaha North: 16-6
One of the deepest weights of the tournament, as the 3rd, 4th and 5th ranked wrestlers from class A will battle. Fielder is the only returning state placer, but Zebley is ranked one spot ahead of him. Zebley owns a sudden victory win over Hurd, and Bonam and Hurd have split matches with each other so far this season.
1. A#4 Reid Dasher, Papillion La Vista: 15-4
2. A#3 Jack Huffman, Millard West: 14-4
3. Noah Molzahn, Fremont: 9-3
4. Jayden Schriner, Lincoln Pius X: 8-3
Huffman owns a win over Dasher last year when they both competed at 113.
1. A#3 Adam Kinnaman, Lincoln Southeast: 18-1
2. A#4 Cody Carlson, Fremont: 10-2
3. Dae`Kwon Seavers, Omaha North: 18-4
4. Ben Hallett, PapillionLa Vista: 20-5
5. Corbin Sindel, Lincoln Northeast: 11-3
6. A#6 Camden, Russell Millard West: 8-5
7. Aeneas Renfrow, Omaha Burke: 9-8
3 of the wrestlers ranked in the top 6, Renfrow and Sindel have been ranked this season, and Hallett and Seavers are right on the cusp of breaking into the class A rankings. Along with 113 and 152, this is one of the deepest weights in the tournament. Here are some head to head results of this season:
-Seavers owns wins over Kinnaman and Hallett
-Kinnaman owns wins over Carlson and Sindel
-Carlson owns a win over Russell
1. Levi May, Millard West: 11-1
2. A#3 Chance Fry, Lincoln Southeast: 19-2
3. A#5 Oscar Baird, Bellevue West: 5-1
4. Dillon Bailey, Omaha North: 13-6
Fry and Baird haven’t met this season, and they could very well meet in the finals.
1. Sheldon Isom, Lincoln North Star: 12-2
2. John Hewitt, Lincoln Pius X: 5-1
3. Jacob Sabin, Lincoln Northeast: 11-3
4. Ronniel Wells, Omaha North: 16-5
5. A#5 Ben Holman, Millard West: 13-6
6. Devon Lee, Lincoln Southeast: 9-5
Holman is the only wrestler currently ranked in class A, but Wells started the season ranked 5th at 145. There’s a great opportunity to for these wrestlers to separate themselves. Jacob Sabin owns a win over Devon Lee this season.
1. Javien Perez, Lincoln North Star: 9-2
2. Arturo Salinas, Papillion La Vista: 9-4
3. Richard Stangl, Marquette High: 9-4
4. Eamon Morrison, Creighton Prep: 10-5
The top 3 wrestlers from Nebraska schools are solid and could all battle for a spot in the finals.
1. A#5 Josh Jansa, Omaha Westside: 15-0
2. Garrett Isom, Lincoln North Star: 9-2
3. A#1 James Burks, Omaha Burke: 13-3
4. Isaac Feltes, Lincoln Pius X: 8-2
5. A#3 Kylan Byars, Omaha Northwest: 5-2
Jansa has pinned every opponent so far this season. Throw in returning state champion Burks and Byars who qualified for state and won 37 matches last season, and the fans will see some entertaining semfinals and a shootout in the finals.
1. A#3 Joshua Guerra, Lincoln Pius X: 10-0
2. Brandon Yost, Lincoln North Star: 10-2
3. Preston Gallegos, Lincoln Southeast: 16-5
4. Bryce Ketelsen, Papillion La Vista: 9-7
Returning state placer Guerra owns a win over Gallegos this season, and Yost’s losses are in the finals of two different tournaments.
1. Isaiah Alford, Lincoln High: 6-1
2. Justin Pettit, Fremont: 9-2
3. A#4 Levi Miller, Bellevue West: 4-1
4. Alex Cruz, Ralston: 11-3
5. Jesus Cisneros, Lincoln North Star: 10-4
Miller finished 6th at state last year, but Pettit has a win over the 4th ranked wrestler in 170A, and Alford’s only loss is to returning state champion Braiden Ruffin.
1. A#1 Darlondo Hill, Omaha Westside: 15-0
2. Greg Dalton, Lincoln Pius X: 7-2
3. Dillyn Miller, Omaha Burke: 13-4
4. Maxwell Adams, Omaha North: 13-6
Hill has been dominant so far this season with 14 pins and 1 major decision. Dalton, Miller, and Adams will battle to see who gets a shot at him in the finals.
1. Andrew Salemme, Marquette High: 11-2
2. Patrick Swift, Lincoln Southeast: 10-2
3. Michael Cisneros, Lincoln Pius X: 7-3
4. Noah Hilton, Ralston: 9-6
195 is a deep weight in class A, but Swift and Cisneros are close to cracking the top 6. The higher placer will be one step closer to jumping in the top 6 conversation.
1. Dajour Willis, Ralston: 9-1
2. A#4 Alexander Dukart, Millard West: 16-4
3. Colton McCurdy, Fremont: 9-5
4. Cody Kirby, Lincoln Southeast: 12-7
Willis can really boost his stock with a win over Dukart should they meet in the finals.
1. A#2 Robbie Farber, Lincoln Pius X: 9-1
2. A#6 Mar`San Casteneda, Lincoln Northeast: 7-1
3. Logan Froistad, Lincoln Southeast: 9-2
4. Mohammed Majid, Lincoln High: 7-2
5. Kainan Bowyer, Ralston: 6-2
6. Cole Patterson, Papillion La Vista: 15-8
Farber owns wins over Casteneda and Froistad this season, which is Casteneda’s only loss. 152 is the only other weight class that has 5 wrestlers with 2 losses or less.