A4 at Millard West High School
Millard West and Omaha Burke are ranked 3rd and 4th respectively and could distance themselves from each other at state with key wins. Norfolk and Omaha Central have depth similar to them, but don’t quite have the firepower. Papio South has some firepower, but lacks depth.
Marquee Weight Classes
It’s intriguing that the top 3 here are in the Metro conference, but haven’t met this season. Durden has faced a slightly tougher schedule, and Burks gave #1 Blake Jackson his only loss to a class A opponent. Throw in Haynes who has been surging lately with a recent win over class B #1 Caleb Lazure, and this is an unpredictable 3-horse race.
1. #5 Gabe Durden (Papio South) 30-5
2. #4 Jakason Burks (Omaha Burke) 22-1
3. Emilio Haynes (Omaha Central) 21-6
4. Aaron Dittmer (Norfolk) 23-23
Wyatt May (Millard West) 17-17
Harrison has earned bonus point wins over the three below him, so he’s the favorite. Riley and Zebley have contrasting styles and should battle for a spot in the finals against Harrison.
1. #1 Joey Harrison (Omaha Burke) 23-0
2. #4 Cole Zebley (Millard West) 31-5
3. Curtez Riley (Omaha Benson) 14-4
4. Andrew Murray (Papillion La-Vista) 14-19
Huffman owns 6-3 and 4-2 wins over Renfrow, so we’ll get to see whether the gap has widened or narrowed. Renfrow has pinned Connor, and Matteo hasn’t faced the 3 above him.
1. #2 Jack Huffman (Millard West) 30-4
2. #3 Aeneas Renfrow (Omaha Burke) 35-11
3. Caleb Connor (Papio South) 33-13
4. Noah Matteo (Norfolk) 21-15
Burks owns wins over Benak and Williams, while Benak and Williams have each pinned each other. Benak has been slightly more consistent and won their last meeting, but they’ll likely face each other in the semis for a shot at Burks in the finals. Valencia is slightly undersized here, but competes hard and could get that 4th spot.
1. #1 James Burks (Omaha Burke) 42-3
2. #3 Josh Benak (Papio South) 35-9
3. Tre’Vion Williams (Omaha Central) 26-10
4. Blake McDonald (Norfolk) 13-17
Ethan Valencia (Millard West) 4-10
Thompson has put together a solid season and is a returning state qualifer. Miller has also had a solid season and has beaten Linear and Hilding.
1. #4 Alexander Thompson (Norfolk) 38-4
2. #6 Dillyn Miller (Omaha Burke) 38-8
3. Trajen Linear (Papio South) 26-18
4. Jacob Hilding (Omaha Central) 12-9
The top 3 at this weight haven’t faced each other despite all being in the Metro conference. Malone and Vawter are past state medalists while Hamilton has been very consistent this season. Vawter and Hamilton will likely battle in the semis in a match of contrasting styles. Vawter is stout and explosive, while Hamilton is long and is a grinder.
1. #2 Javone Malone (Omaha Benson) 41-0
2. #3 Doug Vawter (Millard West) 17-2
3. Jon Hamilton (Papio South) 37-7
4. Dalton Freiberg (Norfolk) 25-15
Montgomery owns a win over Dukart, and both have been very consistent this season. Krebbs and Parham have split matches this year, while Carr is capable and could very well battle for the 3rd and/or 4th spots.
1. #3 Matthew Montgomery (Norfolk) 31-7
2. #4 Alex Dukart (Millard West) 35-6
3. Sean Krebbs (Omaha Benson) 25-8
4. Ty’rick Parham (Omaha Central) 15-9